Environmental Essentials: Red tides and algae blooms
Florida has been suffering a particularly bad red tide this year. The algae bloom has been killing tons and tons of marine life. Algae blooms and bacteria blooms cause problems all over the world and a lot of them are made worse by human impact.
Main Topic: Update on floor sleeping and walking barefoot
When people hear that I sleep on the floor or that I walk barefoot all the time, they think I am crazy. So today, I'll give you a much-requested update on how things are going. I started sleeping on the floor at the beginning of the year and started walking barefoot soon after.
Biodiversity Basics: Corals (part two)
We continue our dive into the world of coral reefs with a look at the different types of coral and their anatomy. Coral and anemones are super fascinating and beautiful. Before we get into their ecological importance, we'll get a better understanding of what they are.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Tagesschau: Alge verursacht Massensterben von Meerestieren
- CNN: Red tide has contributed to more than 600 tons of dead marine life in Florida (Warning: contains inaccuracies or mistakes)
- Red Tide Current Status Map
- The Guardian: Thousands of fish killed by toxic red tide (Warning: contains inaccuracies or mistakes)
- KCET: Why isn't California protecting its unique purple coral?
- Smithsonian's National Zoo
- Video: Swimming anemone