Environmental Essentials: Invasive species
Invasive species are one of the biggest threats to ecosystems. We humans are probably the most damaging invasive species both because of the harm we cause to ecosystems and because of how carelessly we help other invasive species along.
Main Topic: Tattoos & piercings
I got my first tattoo when I was 19. Back then, I was convinced it would be my only one. Spoiler alert: it wasn't. I talk about my tattoos, the stories behind them, and the sustainability of tattooing and piercings.
Biodiversity Basics: Corals (part one)
Last week, we talked about Cnidaria, the phylum sea jellies, coral, and some other awesome creatures belong to. As coral are just too awesome to not do them justice, we are dedicating three entire episodes to them: this first episode will talk about coral life cycles and their pretty cool symbiosis with a tiny algae.
Mentioned in this episode:
- National Geographic: People and Invasive Species (choose your reading level)
- Australian Government: The Cane Toad
- frontiers: 97% of Earth's land area may no longer be ecologically intact
- Ministry for Primary Industries: Wild rabbit control in NZ
- ISSG: 100 of the World's Worst Invasive Alien Species
- Wikipedia: Cat predation on wildlife
- Wikipedia: Zebra mussels
- NOAA: Impacts of Invasive Lionfish
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Might Finally Need to be Killed
- tattoodo: Eco-friendly Tattoo Talk
- Last Week Tonight: Octopuses
- Scientists are trying to save coral reefs
- Coral Life Cycle
- ScienceDaily: How much of corals' nutrition comes from hunting?
- Pronunciation help from dictionary.com