Environmental Essentials: Land-use change
Agriculture, forestry, and land-use change play a huge role in greenhouse gas emissions but most people have no clue what land-use change actually is and how it contributes to the climate.
Main Topic: Food Deserts
I have wanted to talk about food deserts since I watched the introduction to Ron Finley's TED talk. Millions of people don't have access to affordable healthy produce—26.5 Americans alone. Ron's guerilla gardening project is a creative way to help alleviate the issue. I believe it should be an inspiration to all of us.
Biodiversity Basics: Cnidaria (Jellies, coral, etc.)
We are walking further down the tree of life until we reach the Cnidaria and Ctenophora. We'll talk about the life cycle of cnidaria, especially sea jellies (aka jelly fish), and look into some common characteristics of the phyla.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Pacific Forest
- Compaction of forest soils with heavy machinery
- ScienceDirect: Land-use Change
- Winrock: Greenhouse gas emissions from land use and land use change
- Do Something: 11 FACTS ABOUT FOOD DESERTS
- USDA: Access to Affordable and Nutritious Food
- Ron Finley TED